Earlier this month I had the pleasure of presenting a short writing workshop to the women at Discovery Bay Resort in Sequim, WA, where Kelly and I spend the summers. Fifteen women joined me as we explored why they want to write and what they want to write. All want to write memoirs, but many said they didn’t know where or how to start. By the end of the very quick hour, each woman knew exactly where to start and how to do it. It was such a joy for me to see their faces light up with understanding and their excitement about writing. If this is what happens in one short hour, I can’t wait to watch how people respond to full day retreats as well as the three- and five-day retreats! Take a look at our website and think about what you’d like to do.
We have already scheduled two three-day retreats for lesbian and bi women at The Highlands Inn in Bethlehem, New Hampshire for September 8-10 and 11-12, 2014. Space is limited to 24 participants so think about making your reservations now.
I’ve been searching for locations for our writing retreats. I’ve come up with the following because they seem to have special calls for LGBT people who want to write:
- Palm Springs, California because it’s such an LGBT mecca with many amenities and beautiful places;
- Ventura, California, because we can be both near and on the water in Channel Islands Harbor, either in a conference room that caters to our needs or aboard a 50’ boat in the harbor.
- Taos, New Mexico because of its very spiritual location;
- Bethlehem, New Hampshire at the beautiful lesbian resort Highlands Inn;
- Costa Rica in the Trogon Mountains in the Valley of the Quetzals, the most exquisite, color birds on the planet;
- Fernandina Beach, Florida, just north of Jacksonville on the beach;
- Several guest houses in Key West, another LGBT mecca in the middle of the Caribbean.
The search continues for other locations. If you have an idea about where you’d like to write, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you… and watch our website at www.purpledistinctions.com for locations and schedules.